Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th 2012, came true to its notoriety.

After a long, hectic week at management gyaan, I put the internet on hoping for some 5 meager minutes of chatting before the work pressure of the weekend took over; and here's what I see:
  • A young girl is publicly molested for 20 minutes. Disgusting excuses of human beings are committing the crime. Those weak enough to join watch and enjoy. And a journalist looking for a 'story' records. The police... oh, you know what. 
  • Women under 40 are not allowed to go shopping & are not allowed to use their mobile phones outside their homes, in Asara Village. (Apparently for their own safety).
  • Those involved in a love marriage will have to leave the village. (Good riddance for the couple). 
  • Even after 9 years of being a victim of an acid attack, Sonali Mukherjee and her family are still threatened and harassed. She is still begging the government to intervene or at least give her permission to die. 
Charming. 
So this evening all I found is my abysmally declined faith in humanity, a new height of security concerns and my dislike for the people of my own country. 

A long time ago, a friend of mine from another country told me somehting I'll never forget. She said, "In India, the lecherous, cheap men are scared of touching you, unlike in many places, such as South America for example; touching a woman's butt is almost as okay as shaking her hand. You won't be able to say/do a thing. Here, just scream if that happens to you, someone will help."

Her observation, or personal experience, I believe is almost absolutely true. Except now that last sentence is redundant. We have the Guwahati case as an example. People stood watching as she yelled and cried. Those molesters were smiling while they pulled, pushed, hit, groped her. SMILING. I, like many others, cried when I saw it. I could not help but think of myself or a friend in that situation. Many might add, make sure you have male friends along with you. Why? So they end up like Keenan and Santos? (You guys remember who they were, don't you? Yaa news gayi, baat gayi?) 
On the other hand, where the hell were that girl's friends? 

I have no words on why this happened, or what kind of a society this is, or what kind of people we are... No, none at all. I don't have hate left to send out to the universe.
We all need solutions. All I want to say is educate. Not just about science or history, but at least and more importantly about basic human morals and ethics. And if I may be so bold in hoping, I wish the government makes a good example of this case. They have proof and the victim's mother bothered to file a case (unlike the new year incident that happened with two NRI women a couple years ago. They did not file a complaint and left the country asap.) 

As far as the village of Asara is concerned, I am not surprised at all, because that is how the rural mind set is till date. But I hope they are educated about how the rules set by the panchayat are not legal and they can choose to do what they wish to. Shockingly, one of the rules that panchayat passed is that AGAINST dowry

However, Sonali Mukherji's case is one that baffles me. She and her family are now completely drowned in harassment and threats, has the police and government answered to none of their calls? 

I now hope predictions made by the Mayans come true. We have done a shoddy job with this planet.
With no more words left, I'd like to leave you with one brilliant and one stupid tweet, by two respected women of this nation and a great poem every woman should read when she's low.

Kiran Bedi's tweet: "Pubs attract hooliganism and violence just as holy places attract peace and devotion."
"Pubs breed lust, holy places reduce it."

Barkha Dutt's tweet: "Don't let the Mob win. Don't tell your daughter she can't go out alone at night. Don't restrict the clothes she wears. teach your sons better."   
Here's one solution for those who asked for it. 

Au revoir,
Miss Bee.

I tweet on:  https://twitter.com/#!/DevikaBharadwaj
Facebook Fanpage:  http://www.facebook.com/shoestopper
Website: http://www.shoestopper.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment