Sunday, November 6, 2011

What's more than white clothes, candles and peace marches...?

Hello!

A long time it has been... I've been away from technology because I have been drowned into maths books, preparing to giving the stinking CAT exam next week. So excuse me, won't you?
I had absolutely no plans of writing (or doing anything fun at all *sob*) till I got done with my exam. However, recent events just didn't let me stay put and I had pour my thoughts out somewhere. And where else would that be?

Of course, the event I'm talking about is the event everyone else is talking about (at least everyone aware). The "eve-teasing in Mumbai", the "Justice for Keenan and Reuben" and all the other names this miserably doleful situation has been called out with.
In summary, two boys were brutally stabbed for saving their girl-friends from eve teasing by a drunk man along with his aides, a bunch of rickshaw-wallahs and other brutes.
(Read the link for the detailed story: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150880654735538&set=p.10150880654735538&type=1&theater )

Of the many things this incident makes me realize, one is that how easily it could have been me. It could have been me with my bunch of friends after just another casual dinner out. We probably wouldn't have even realized when things could have gone wrong. Friends protecting us in one minute, stabbed to death in another. What could we have done? What would we have done? What should we do if that happens? Are three of the many questions this thought brings up in my mind.

Of course, my family would give me a solution to this. "Don't go out at night. We told you it's not safe."  So now I should sit at home with fear of my modesty and the safety of my life and of those with me?

The second thing I realized is how numb we have already become. If you have read my previous posts, you know I was called "rasmalai" by some random stranger near a railway station. So I was just another girl used to the fact that random people call us girls such names or catcall when we're around. Moreover, we might as well have been glad they did that (Catcalling is better than being groped, inst it?!) *sigh* I am bemused by own reaction. I found 'rasmalai' funny, instead of realizing that I was just eve teased, yet another time, without doing anything about it.

With time, most have us have used and abused the mantra 'Ignorance is Bliss'. In these cases, it just seems like the thing to do. The judicial system doesn't seem any effective; clearly people around don't help; obviously, we aren't strong enough to over-power a bunch of men or even one drunk man. And of course, avoiding a tough situation is better than being in a messy one later. Nauseating, isn't it?

I know these questions and thoughts are in most people's minds. I wish it was different. But where lies the solution?

The third thing I realized is when I started getting broadcasts and messages on my cellphone, on my Facebook homepage, on twitter and every other imaginable communication tool. Come let's wear white, hold a candle and chant seems the thing to do. Don't think my sarcasm says I don't support it. I think peace marches are the most peaceful and gracious things to do by us. But let's learn from our experience. Where has it lead us? After miles of experience, I don't see a march having lead to a strong, permanent change.
So here what I ask the readers is, what is the solution? I'm ready to be a part of any movement, but would it even lead to even 0.01% change in the society (see, I've been doing math). Will it make me feel,even if for a millisecond, that I can go out safe whenever I want? Is there ANYTHING out there common people, like you and I, can do to cause an effect? Do tell, because I'm game for it.

I'm waiting to see what the police or the government does about this whole situation. I fervently hope at least one of those hooligans is punished. (Hope. Ha-Ha.) Anyway.

RIP Kennan and Reuben.
Hope people around me are as courageous as you were.

Au revoir,
Miss Bee.

I tweet on: http://twitter.com/#!/DevikaBharadwaj

2 comments:

  1. aftr readng ur post i have come to a concideration that do some awareness programs and show to public about the problems u all r facing then govt will take an action on that....first there should be a change in the thinkng of a man they should know the value of a girl then i think they ont do all these things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wrote a whole new post in response to your comment. Thank you for inspiring a chain of thoughts!

    ReplyDelete