Tuesday, December 6, 2011

From Maximum City to the most Vertical City.... Day 1

Ni Hao!

My three day visit to Hong Kong, known as the most vertical city in the world, was easily satisfying, fun and a bit exhilarating. To be honest, a trip to anywhere out of Mumbai is now welcome, but this tour particularly appealed to some of my senses which needed to be revived.
So here comes the dos, the donts, the must-sees, the must-dos, the must-takes, the best-ways to spending time in Hong Kong.
Readers who have visited the place, add on! Readers who haven't been there, read on! 
Picture 1
City view from SKY100

My first step out of Hong Kong airport was easily one of the most grateful moments. Not having slept for about 30 odd hours and being one of the only ones the immigration officials wanted to have a nice round of rapid-fire with, I opened my eyes to a lot of green trees and blue seas. As I entered the city, I sure was glad to see a very clean city that didn't have me sitting in a vehicle, stuck in traffic for ages.
Hong Kong definitely passes off as a clean, disciplined city, I can say, through my entire 3 and  a half days of travel.

I stayed in an area called Kowloon. As I first took a walk 10 blocks around the place, I was smiling. Now, this is something most people might know and wouldn't care about but I found it really amusing. Of course, the traffic sense there is almost impeccable, by both drivers and pedestrians alike; but what I found fascinating was that the traffic signals had audio signals corresponding to lights, 24 hours a day. So when the pedestrian signal is Red, the audio buzzes slowly and then it picks up pace when the signal turns green.
Many of you must be thinking, "big deal!" But hey, have you thought that even an absent minded person walking the street would have some part of his brain paying attention to audio-visual traffic signals; not to mention all the visually impaired and senior citizens who can easily get by just listening to the audio.

Moving on. The first 'tourist-spot' we hit is a place called SKY-100.

SKY-100: 
This spot is, as the name suggests, located on the 100th floor of the tallest building of Hong Kong, the International Commerce Centre. The Sky-100 basically gives you a 360 degree view of the town. Personally, I think, you can give it a miss. Though if you are into photography, you should go there with some time in hand because not only would you get a good picture of the town around and beyond, but also get a good view of the setting sun.
Picture 2
View from SKY-100

Cost: Advance booking would cost you about 125 HKD (Hong Kong Dollar).
So like I said, unless you are a photography buff, I really don't think it's worth a visit as other places would offer good views as well.

Trivia: The lift takes about 30 seconds to take us up to the 100th floor. Cool, eh?

Next we moved on to a place called the Victoria Peak.

VICTORIA PEAK:
Picture 3
Tram to Victoria Peak
If you are in Hong Kong, don't miss this place! The Victoria Peak boasts of major tourist attractions like: Madame Tussauds, The Sky terrace and The Peak tower (again offering 360 degree view of the city{told you so}).
It is a located at a height of a few hundred feet from sea level.
However, what I like the most is not what it has, but how it takes you there. You need to take a tram to get to the Victoria Peak! It rides at about a 35 degree angle and the view that it offers is that best!!!
All the towers around the peak appear to jutting out at an approx. 25 degree angle. it really is a view of a kind! (See Picture 4)


Picture 4
View from the tram
(Look at the angles of the building!)
Here I'd like to give you a tip or two:
a) Make sure you are ahead in the queue to get in the tram. It's a tad bit like any Mumbai railway station and people do push to get in and get a good seat!
b) Get a seat on the right hand side of the tram to get a better view of the towers and the town.
c) Window seat! 'Nuff said.

Madame Tussauds: 
Of course, it doesn't boast of all the statues like its original museum, but it sure has a good collection here as well! It houses people from Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe, princess Diana and Brangelina, Mohammad Ali and Jackie Chan, The Beatles and Tina Turner, to Amitabh Bachchan *proud*, Elvis Presley *swoons*, Lady Gaga *goes weird* and Robert Pattinson *blush*.


Picture 5
View from Victoria Peak
(From a point outside the tower and food joints)


At Madame Tussauds, just like any other place you go to in Hong Kong, they will click pictures and offer them to you at a price range of about 80-120 HKD. Personally, I think it's a waste of money (don't even start converting to rupees). So as long as you have a camera on you, it's all good.

If you're short on time when at Victoria Peak, you can easily chuck the tower and the terrace. Instead, just head to Madame Tussauds (if you haven't seen it elsewhere), walk out and find a few spots around which offer a good view (See picture 5.)



Two major spots down, food has to come up, doesn't it? So finally we headed to an Indian Restaurant called Legends Of India to fill us up for all that lost tourist energy.
Legends of India is located at Prat Avenue, Tsim Tsa Sui (pronounced sim-sha-sui), Kowloon, Hong Kong.

I'm usually open to experimenting food, but boy, oh boy, I sure was perfectly elated to have some good Indian food. We gorged on sabzis, roti, dal, rice; the usual. What I like most about this place was they have a set of artists performing Indian music live. From latest Bollywood music to soulful ghazals, the band did a great job. I felt like I had gone to some restaurant in India and I felt good!
Picture 6
Promenade next to the
Harbour Grand, Kowloon



Body and mind, both well-fed, the day came to an end with a relaxing walk by the sea-side promenade right by our hotel, Harbour Grand, Kowloon. The weather was B-E-A-Utiful and the very pleasantly cool breeze guaranteed that I was headed for a good night's sleep next.

Hold on to know about the magical journey that I undertook on Day 2...



Au revoir,
Miss Bee.


I tweet on: https://twitter.com/#!/DevikaBharadwaj

P.S.- Excuse the not-so-good quality of pictures. I can't say I have a very good camera. You know what I mean.

P.P.S.- 1 Hong Kong Dollar = 7 Rupees


4 comments:

  1. This is the very first blog of yours that i've read and I must say its pretty good..
    btw pictures are not that bad..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What took you so long?! (oh, you were reading something else) *evil grin*
    Anyway, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q1. Why don't the pictures have you? x

    Q2. See the Madame Tussauds reminds me of "Sunil's celebrity wax museum" you could have compared the two:P "You know what I mean"

    Q3. Last one, where is DAY 2?? cannot wait!!
    *my curiosity for your blog is just a back handed compliment to how well you have written it bee*
    CHEERS (Y)
    :D
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. A1: Navs, you of all people know my aversion to private photos on the internet! And see now what Kapil Sibal is up to... No security AT ALL!

    A2: I know EXACTLY what you mean! *falls laughing*

    A3: *blushes after reading* Coming soon! Your compliment means SOOOO much to me! <3

    ReplyDelete