Sunday, April 22, 2012

There's so much life on earth...

Hello!

I was fortunate enough to see one of the best miracles of life: one of life itself. We've all heard about (or nearly SEEN in the case of our generation, thanks to all the uncensored television and movies,) how childbirth can be equally miraculous and gross at the same time. But that's not what I experienced... I experienced something rather more beautiful.

I witnessed the miracle of ADOPTION.


I was at an orphanage, called Bal Anand, in Chembur spending some time with the children. I saw a mother playing around with her baby and her family looking on, near the entrance as I was about to leave. As I was saying my goodbyes to the staff, one of them informed that the family had just adopted the little baby. And with that bit of information, my whole outlook towards that scene changed...

Now I didn't just see the mother playing with her baby; but I also saw her wet eyes and fuller heart. Her joy radiated so much happiness, I could feel it in her aura. Then, I saw the father, taking pictures non-stop, smiling in a manner that only a father can when he looks at his child. There was so much happiness and joy in that room, I can still feel it right now while writing it down.

I don't know their reason for adopting a child and I don't want to know. All I know is that their decision changed the life of that abandoned infant...definitely their own too.
I don't know who they are or anything about them, but I do also know that their life has a lot more joy now than they could ever have imagined.

Of course, after I overcame that whole scene (oh yes, I couldn't help but shed tears of joy too), I wondered why more people weren't picking adoption over other methods like surrogacy, IVF treatments and all that scientific jazz. There are so many little babies waiting to be picked by a family. Instead, people care about continuing their bloodline. Seems a bit shallow now, doesn't it?

I wish someone pushed and promoted the joys and advantages of adoption. There is, after all, a lot of life  on earth.

On another note, I am actually waiting to watch the movie Vicky Donor. get some perspective on sperm donation, if the movie offers it at all (though I have heard really great reviews). Until then, feel free to add your opinions!

Au revoir,
Miss Bee.

I tweet on:  https://twitter.com/#!/shoe_stopper
Facebook Fanpage:  http://www.facebook.com/shoestopper
Website: http://www.shoestopper.com/

2 comments:

  1. A great post Devika. I completely agree with you that people should prefer adoption other than those scientific methods. Being son of a Gynaecologist i understand the complications involved in all those "Scientific Jazz"(a word well chosen). And the movie vicky donor does try to change the opinion of people about these taboo topics. Would love to read more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Praveen! I still haven't seen that movie... But I'm going to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete