Saturday, May 12, 2012

Marketing Jayate..?

Namaste!

I have always prized the fact that I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of variety of people, each with a distinct mindset of his own. I got a recent taste of that at 12 noon last Sunday, when Satyamave Jayate aired on television for the very first time; and as soon as it got over, status updates all over Twitter, Facebook and Blackberry messenger were either filled with bad opinions of the show, or bad opinions of the people who had bad opinions of the show.
But I expected a reaction like this, and nothing less, to a much publicized show and much publicized anchor.

Before 11am, 6th May 2012:


The extra-marketed, extra-advertised show by actor Aamir Khan had been one show that Indians all over had been anticipating, just as much as they anticipated Ramayana and Mahabharata in the 80's. While these classic shows didn't have weeks of marketing hype to live up to, Satyamave Jayate did.

Whether you are near the Reclamation flyover, or on the western express highway, Aamir Khan's intense eyes and ultra-clear skin (you know what I mean) would definitely be looking down on you, almost as if yelling that 'you are a bad citizen who needs to watch this show to change the society and India's life'. Well, that's what I felt every time I saw one of the posters.

The video commercials too were no less. In one of the commercials, he says, "Entertainment ka matlab ye toh nahi hai ki bas hassate raho... Dil pe lagni chahiye." Sorry Aamir, but when the show finally aired, mere dil par kuch nahi lagi. Why, sir, why?

After 12noon, 6th May 2012:

The content of the show did not bring anything that I didn't really know or had no idea about. Most of us who read newspapers, or are aware of the society's 'bad habits', know about female infanticide and its prevalence in India. Like many others, I expected this show to have a lasting impression such that it would leave us with a the thought of actually doing something. But sadly, I couldn't stand through the hour and was out of the television room much before the show ended.

I think, I, like many others over-expected results and impact from this show, albeit, Aamir Khan. His well-packaged personality of being a intelligent, caring perfectionist took my expectations higher than where they already were thanks to all the marketing and publicity they have been doing for months.
Fact remains, the show failed to create any new thoughts or refreshed perspectives. Although, it did make me wince once or twice when the guest of the show shared her story on how many times she had to get aborted *shudder*, but that's where the intended 'impact' ended.

Moving beyond the content and impact of the show... Does Aamir Khan make a good television host?
I am not so sure.
What say you, Aamir?
*eyebrows raised*

Anup Soni (and many others), I believe, makes a better anchor and has a more 'real' touch to his manner of orating; on the other hand, Aamir Khan looked, there's no other word to say this, FAKE in many places. His 'ohs', 'achas', and long gaps to showcase his concern to what was being said looked merely scripted somehow. It may not be so, but that's how it appeared to be.

All in all, Satymave Jayate failed to grip my attention, concern or anything else.
Furthermore, it got me thinking of a million other ways to use the money being spent on this show, to actually do what it says it intends to do. Aamir Khan earns 4 crore per episode, money spent on sponsorship deals is 6-12 crore, money splurged on marketing is 6 crore rupees; if my math hasn't become worse than before, I believe that's a low amount of approximately 20 crore rupees already spent to 'cause social awakening'. (Just lost my ability to laugh at something that is NOT funny). 

But the final verdict has not been brutally passed yet. I hope, 'for those who are watching's sake, that Aamir and Star does better tomorrow.
If not, dear Star World that also airs Satyamave Jayate with subtitles :-/, please just show me an episode of Castle or Supernatural instead. PLEASE? *puppyface*


Au revoir,
Miss Bee.


I tweet on:  https://twitter.com/#!/shoe_stopper
Facebook Fanpage:  http://www.facebook.com/shoestopper
Website: http://www.shoestopper.com/


P.S.- The opinions posted above are only about the show and to analyze it. I do appreciate the effort being taken by those part of Satyamave Jayate to bring about a change in the society's mindset. I, as a citizen of this society, would only be happy if even the slightest awareness is created on these social 'evils'. After all, Satyamave Jayate. (which, FYI, means: truth alone triumphs)



No comments:

Post a Comment