Monday, August 20, 2012

I have found soul in the soil... 3

Hello!

Another month of these poor rains and drought would have to be declared, say government officials. True that. But weeks ago, when there was a semblance of monsoon there were mixed feelings by the 'greens' of my garden. Like most of you who follow the blog know that my garden is on the terrace, therefore rainfall is abundant on the plants. Some reacted well and grew abundantly, but there were some plants that caught some of the blues of the weather.

It's the first time I had to handle the care of my plants in the monsoon; and may I add, it's not easy. I realized there are some things that amateur gardeners can't manage mainly due to lack of knowledge. Therefore, for the very first time, much to my disappointment, I called a professional gardener aka 'maali' to apply medicines to the plants.

The infection/ insects affecting my plants is basically looks like some white residue of some paste. If you have a garden (I fervently hope you do), you should get it fixed soon too. Why? Because the plants' growth gets stunted and sometimes it may even die. I observed that mainly my vegetable plants were affected, i.e. chilly, tomato and curry leaves. The tomato plant was affected worse and had to be uprooted completely. :'(

I asked the maali where he got the medicine from for future use and he told me it's available at most nurseries and gardening related shops. Ask around, you may easily get it.

This maali or in this case the doctor, did apply the medication, but the bad news for me was he removed some of my plants that, according to me, were growing pretty well. :'( I had planted marigold and a couple other seeds which had been growing well this season, however he uprooted these plants completely because he diagnosed their roots weren't healthy.)
However, the good news is, I asked him to give me small plants of flowers and seeds of brinjal and capsicum, which he did. So I now have a lot of new additions to my 'green' family! :D

Have a look at the pictures. I haven't been able to add a picture of the medicine because he had already applied it and thrown the packets. However, in my next post I'll try to add a picture and get the name of the same for you.

Happy monsoon! (if we are blessed with some more.) 


Aloe Vera.
It's got black spots at some places which was caused due to overdose of water thanks to the rains. However, if you look to the left of the main plants, you'll see new shoots coming. :D 

I love white flowers! They give so much peace. 

My first ever rose plant! :D 

Yellow roses. Can brighten the dullest day. 

Hibiscus flower plant. A huge white flower blossomed in this one a week after I took this picture. 

Another rose plant! Got a lot of these ones. 

Just look at the shades! Pretty, much?

This is a plant which grows small sizes roses. According to my maali, it's called 'desi-gulaab'  and there will always be at least one rose on this plant at a time. Only time will tell whether it's true or not. 

Brinjal beginning to grow. 

Peppermint plant, growing as much as ever! 

Curry Leaves plant. If you focus on the main branch you will see some whitish residue. That's the thing bothering my plants. :( But these curry leaves are being used everyday in my kitchen! No heath issues because it is cooked well. 

More hibiscus plants. Each gives flowers of different colours. 

Chillies. Here you can see the green chilly turning into a red one. These too are regularly used in my kitchen and so many grow that I can easily distribute it out to friends. :D

My chilly plants too had caught that infection. 

The largest plant in my garden. :D



Monsoon or not, sickness or none, these plants are a great way for me to break away from 'worldly' issues, even if it is just for 5 minutes. Watering and taking care of them give me a huge sense of calm and peace.

Want to know how exactly? Get a garden. There's no other way you'll ever find out.
Wishing more green to you...


Au revoir,
Miss Bee.

I tweet on:  https://twitter.com/#!/DevikaBharadwaj
Facebook Fanpage:  http://www.facebook.com/shoestopper
Website: http://www.shoestopper.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment